"Hi there and thanks a lot for visiting my blog. DFTBA!"

1/30/2012

To kill a mockingbird by Harper Lee

Hi people,
So a couple of weeks ago I went to the library and decided not to borrow a YA fiction book, but a piece of literature. Most of people have to read this book for school, but I have not yet needed to read it, it just seemed interesting to me. And that's how I found out I love literature. This review will be different from the other ones I have already posted :)



book: To kill a mockingbird
written by: Harper Lee
genres: Adult, literature, classics
own / library / borrowed
pages: 309
rating: 5 stars!


the book:
US, Alabama, 1935. Scout and Jem are the two children of Atticus Finch, a lawyer. Atticus has to defend a black man, who is suspected of the rape of a white girl. He cannot deny the case, because that'd mean no job, which means no money. And that's why he has to defend the man, even tough he knows the case is already lost because of the difference between black and white people. Lots of terrible things will happen, because Atticus defends a black man. But when the thruth is revealed, will people set the man free, or won't they, because he's black?


review:
I have no idea how to review a book this good. To me this is an important piece of american history. The story is told from Scout, a nine-year-old girl, point of view, which makes is less difficult to read, which was great for me. I like to know what I'm reading :) I think that this story wouldn't have been as good as it is if it was told from e.g. Atticus's point of view, Scout really made the story funny with her childlike innocence. The author made me want to read literature, something I'd think I would not like.
This story is out of my comfort zone, but still I loved it, and I know I will read more literature. I hope all literature is as good as this book. Then English classes will be fun in the next 3 years :D (I'm in year 9 now)
The characters were very developed and thought-through, which made the book easier to read. You did not have to care about some very bad  characters, and I fell in love with all of them. I kind of felt like I knew every family that lived in this village, and that I knew all about them.
I could relate to Scout in many ways. I was like she is, always being boy-ish. My parents also are like Atticus, teaching me to read before school started.
*I think I can go on rambling about this book forever*
Altogether, I think many newer stories were based on this one, and this book has been a source of inspiration for tons of books, writers and readers. Definitely worth the Pulitzer Prize it recieved!


so again, I rate this book 5 stars!!
xo mar

2 comments:

The Romance Bookie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Romance Bookie said...

Out of every single literature book I ever read during school, "To Kill a Mockingbird" was my absolute favorite! In fact, it was sadly the only book I ever read in any of my english classes that I actually enjoyed :)