"Hi there and thanks a lot for visiting my blog. DFTBA!"

4/22/2012

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater


book: Shiver

written by: Maggie Stiefvater
series: Wolves of the Mercy Falls #1
genre: YA, Paranormal Romance
pages: 390
publication date: January 1st, 2009
publisher: Scholastic Press

first thoughts:
I read this book for the second time, and I still loved it, and decided to review it. Read it in 2 languages now, and I must say that English was the best one, as usual :) Also, there is a movie coming *hopefully...*^^ The cover of this book is so pretty! It's one of my all-time favourites :D I already reviewed #3 in the series, Forever.


the book: 
the cold.
Grace has spent years watching the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf—her wolf—watches back. He feels deeply familiar to her, but she doesn't know why.


the heat.
Sam has lived two lives. As a wolf, he keeps the silent company of the girl he loves. And then, for a short time each year, he is human, never daring to talk to Grace...until now.


the shiver.
For Grace and Sam, love has always been kept at a distance. But once it's spoken, it cannot be denied. Sam must fight to stay human—and Grace must fight to keep him—even if it means taking on the scars of the past, the fragility of the present, and the impossibility of the future.

my review:
This is one of those series that appears to have haters and super-lovers, but nothing in between of that. So I'm breaking that 'rule' and become one of those in-between'ers... 
The whole romantic love story totally kind of freaked me out at the beginning, when the girl is in love with a freaking wolf, but turned out to me ok when she fell in love with the boy. Actually, Grace was my main problem *and actually one of the only problems I had with this book* that bothered me. She seems Bella-ish in the first piece of the book. When you later find out that her character has depth and isn't annoying and whiny at all, she is a great character, but still... 
Sam, the wolf, is a totally loveable character, and I , of course, fell for him :s Really, he is one of those YA boys that isn't bad boyish, which is great. The best thing about the romance and characters in this book was that there is NO LOVE TRIANGLE *yeah, it's true, this book is truly amazing on that point* How great is that?! Thumbs up, Maggie Stiefvater!
The plot of this book includes something for everyone. It has action, romance and even something to laugh about. Still, there isn't happening a lot, but it didn't really matter to me, because the romance just totally made the story epic to me. And I don't even like romance :o
The plot of this story is nothing very special, but the way the story is told was just so good, that you could race through the pages. The story is almost poetic, and since some parts of Sam's POV are including song lyrics, they become even more poetic ^^ Too bad that it was impossible to translate it right :c Go English!

final thoughts:
A an amazing book filled with romance, some werewolves and important stuff about low temperatures in the colder part of America that is every teenage girls' dream


rating:
4 stars :)


movie news:
Check out the IMDb page of the movie for news *if there will be a movie etc.*:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1520490/


xo Mar

4 comments:

Oh! Paper Pages said...

Great post! I just finished Shiver the other day, and I really enjoyed it. I picked up Linger and can't wait to read what happens. The ending was so good. :) Looking forward to your Linger review!

bookworm105 said...

I haven't read any of the books by Maggie Stiefvater, except for The Scorpio Races. I feel so stupid for not reading this serie. I hope to get to this one, soon. Thanks for the review!

Shmandarin said...

Hey there! Great post! Personally I liked shiver best out of this whole series, the other two, not so much. Anyway, I am subscribed to your blog now and hope you will check out mine as well!
Have a good one!!
-Amanda
http://shmandarinorange.blogspot.com

Mar said...

thanks for all your lovely comments! xo