"Hi there and thanks a lot for visiting my blog. DFTBA!"

5/21/2012

The Selection by Kiera Cass

title: The Selection
written by: Kiera Cass
series: The Selection #1
genre: dystopia, young adult, romance
pages: 329
publication date: April 24th, 2012
publisher: HarperTeen


For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.


But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.


Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.


First of all, this review was NOT influenced by childish behaviour of anyone, nor was it by all the bad publicity it got. It's just me being honest. Secondly, if you read this book and liked it you might will not like this review... Just thought I should let you know.


The cover really tricked me into reading this one. I read some negative reviews of it, and there was a lot of commotion around this book. I wanted to know what they were really talking about, so I decided I should read this book. And I did. And I think I should get a price for finishing it, because it was horrible, aweful, eye-bawling bad.


Also, I wanted to read this book because it was "The Bachelor meets The Hunger Games" Well, Hell no it wasn't! How dare they call this book anything like The Hunger Games. I'm not the #1 Hunger Games fan, but this book certainly wasn't anything like it. I don't really like the Bachelor, but I have watched some episodes. Maybe even an entire season. It had no rose ceremonies or something, and that's the thing that I really like about the Bachelor.


I usually like dystopian books, and this one was referred to as dystopian. While reading it, I was getting more confused by the page. Where was the dystopian bit of this book?? I was looking for it. But it was nowhere to be found. That really sucked. Cass made some poor attempts, a caste system, which doesn't seem dystopian at all. It's just today's reality, only a little bit exaggerated. Then there is this new country, Illéa, which is the new USA. There have been 2 more world wars. It is extremely strange, after the 4th world war, it would be strange if there was anything left on this world, right? But well, no way I will call this book dystopian.


The main character is called America Singer. What a stupid name is that! All other character names were 
'normal', which is pretty strange, considering this book was meant to be dystopian. 
Also, America was a very flat and stupid character, and a very disappointing female protagonist. Let me explain it by the means of a random quote: "Would Maxon want me to change? Was that why he was off kissing other girls? Because there was something not quite right about me?" Quotes like me just make me want to bawl my eyes out, multiple times. Girls should be strong and independent, not whiny and stupid. I will not even start talking about Maxon, just to keep this nice and prevent me from having to censor this review... :l


The plot of this book -series?!?!- didn't amuse me at all. I was so glad I finished it. And how on earth does the author manage to write so many words about so little?! She can write a whole trilogy about NOTHING AT ALL!


The way it was written was very immature and basic. Something happened, a thought popped up, it gave me  a feeling, I did this. This made the book even worse to read.


So, please, if you want to try this book you should check it out in your library or borrow it from someone, but please don't buy it for your own sake. And remember, this is just my own opinion, I am all right with you if you like it. I'm just being honest. 


I give this book 1 star, because I can't give it negative stars... :$


xo Mar

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I really badly want to read this book! This book sounds so great! I especially love the cover!

BTW new follower!
Come by my blog sometime!
Books With Marshmallows

Mar said...

tnx for the follow :) I did also love the cover, but I just hate the book... If only all covers were like this one.

Jennifer @ A Librarians Library said...

I understand where you are coming from. I do not agree with the dystopia classification (although perhaps more dystopian elements will show up in book 2 as they deal with the rebels and such....). I ended up enjoying this book because I wanted entertainment from this book from the get go. But I feel like it could have easily gone the other way for me, like it did for you (especially if my expectaion was a great dystopia). Sorry you didn't enjoy it =(