"Hi there and thanks a lot for visiting my blog. DFTBA!"

8/18/2012

Review: A Stiff Kiss by Avery Olive

title: A Stiff Kiss
written by: Avery Olive
genres: Young Adult, Paranormal Romance
page count: 247
publication date: February 12th, 2012

Who knew kissing a corpse would change everything?
Death always hits Xylia Morana too close to home, but she likes it that way. She hangs out with the terminally ill, attends random funerals, and every so often, when the weather is right, she sleeps in open graves.
But after Landon Phoenix, the high school hottie, dies in Xylia's arms, she sneaks into the morgue to say goodbye. How could she know stealing a kiss from his corpse would wake him up?
With Landon returned to the living and suddenly interested in Xylia, life has new meaning. But what Xylia doesn't realize is that by kissing Landon back to life, she's thrown Life and Death off balance. The underworld demands a body, and it might just have to be Xylia's this time.

 

**The author provided me with an ecopy of A Stiff Kiss. I was not rewarded for this review with many or any other means of value.**

A Stiff Kiss was so much better than I expected it to be! The book looked not extremely interesting to me at first, but once I opened it and started reading I just fell in love with the whole concept, the characters and the oh-so-addictive story.

Xylia is a goth girl, always dressed in black. She loves to hang out on graveyards, is always close to death. But she also has her girly side. She is in love with Landon, the most popular boy in school. Whe he dies while playing a soccer game, she kind of loses it. As close as she always is to the dead, she is to his dead body. She goes to the morgue and kisses Landon's dead body on the lips. And that's when the ultimate drama sets in. Landon wakes up from death, and the balance between Life and Death is messed up. 

It might sound like a cliché that Xylia -the outcast- is in love with Landon -the hottest guy in her school- but their story is anything but cliché. Landon does partly remember what happened, and he knows that he owes his 'second life' to Xylia, but doesn't understand it, neither does anyone. It is a whole mystery; how is it possible to wake up from death. 

As the story develops, my emotions took over. It was just so cute and cruel at the same time. Just as Landon and Xylia started to really get to know each other, they found out one of them was going to be taken by the Underworld, that demanded a body to maintain the balance between Life and Death. The story was so bittersweet it made me cry at multiple points, and that is quite unique, as I usually don't cry a lot while reading.

This book's writing style fitted  the story perfectly. It is so much better to read romantic parts from 2 points of view, it gives you way moer insight into everything, and makes you feel as is you are standing right there in the middle of the story, next to Landon and Xylia.

Concluding, A Stiff Kiss is a YA novel that should get way more attention, as I believe every lover of PNR will love this novel. The characters were amazing, the story was super interesting and my emotions took over multiple times while reading. I give this novel 4.5 stars!

 Love, 
Mar

Other reviews of 'A stiff Kiss'


3 comments:

Avery Olive said...

Thank you so much for this! I loved that I made you cry! It means I did my job in conveying a certain emotion. :)

Mar said...

thanks for the comment Avery. And thank you for writing such a wonderful novel!

Stepping Out of the Page said...

Wow, this sounds great. I hadn't heard of it before, but it certainly sounds like something I would like. I will have to look out for it! Great review, Mar!

Steph @ SteppingOutOfThePage.co.uk